Wednesday, November 2, 2016

families are forever

o-Hi-o

Hello Family and Friends! 

I got a glimpse and a personal testimony about eternal families. 

When I got my call to serve in the Ohio Cincinnati Mission, I was informed by my mom and aunt that My ancestors settled out in that area. I looked at my family tree and saw that my Great Great Great Grandpa came from Germany to Kentucky and changed his last name from Koch to Cook. From there some migrated up to Ohio. I was determined to find my long lost relatives! For the past 15 months and 5 areas that I have served in there have been multiple Cook's that I have met (all who I love a lot!) I got good at quickly asking them their heritage and figuring out if they were an original Koch or not. I believe God has a sense of humor, because there are A LOT of Cook's out here. Well the other day I was on exchanges with my Sister Training Leader and I happen to be in the city where my family migrated up from Kentucky. After dinner we were going over to visit a lady that just was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in May of this year. We knocked on her door, she stepped out and we started to talk, I introduced myself and she then told me that her mom was a Cook. I got excited but then didn't want to get too excited because I didn't want to get my hopes  up again for the nth-teen time. So I quickly asked her of her heritage and where they came from. The spirit filled my soul when I heard her tell me how they came from Germany, settled in Kentucky, changed their last name from Koch to Cook and then some moved up to this particular city in Ohio. I about had a heart attack! I started talking at a million miles per hour! I raised my voice,  "WE COULD BE COUSINS!" This is the closest that I have gotten to my long lost relatives. I couldn't be happier! My love for those Sister Missionaries that took the time to talk to everyone on the street. They talked with her and helped her gain a personal testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for those missionaries! I thought how when we pass on and go to the next life how we will be rejoicing with our families, just how I was rejoicing with my long lost cousin on her porch. 

I know that God's power and authority (the Priesthood) is once again on the earth. It was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. That power and authority is given so that we can make sacred ordinances and covenants that will bind us to our families forever. I know this to be true. 



I love you all so much!

Go make it a great week!

Sister Cook


No comments:

Post a Comment